Thursday, July 18, 2013

How Great Thou Art

I haven't read everyone else's post so I apologize if this is repetitive, but I just wanted to quick write about some of my experiences from the week so far. I have tried my best this week to learn every child's name. I love being able to see their beautiful faces light up when they know you have taken the time to learn their name and that you remember them and are excited to see them. These kids are so sweet and cuddly. I thought the last thing I would want to do in 90-something degree weather would be to sit on a dirty floor and snuggle, but that has been one of my very favorite things to do on this trip.
I had the opportunity to help out with interviewing some of the new girls and finding out some information to pass along to possible sponsors. This has been eye-opening and amazing all at once. These girls are amazing and despite what they've been through many of them said that they knew Jesus and had repented. They know that he loves them and cares for them. They know that he is King. When we asked them what they would like their sponsors to be like or what they wanted to know about their sponsors many of them just wanted them to be Christians.
How easy is it for me to get frustrated at home and, in turn, get frustrated with God, and here are these beautiful girls living in an orphanage and praising the Lord for a well-balanced meal and friends...I haven't heard one of them complain. They continue to amaze me every day.
One of my favorite moments so far was at their birthday party and they were waiting for their meal and all 75 of them began singing "How Great Thou Art" in Creole. It was wonderful and so moving. They sang loud and they sang to the Lord. They weren't worried about how they sounded or how they looked doing it, they just praised God. It was amazing and something that I will remember forever.
On a lighter note, the girls do think my short ponytail is hilarious and were definitely making fun of my blond braid...I know this because I confirmed with a translator! ;) I have learned to play jacks with stones, play hand games and learned names.
But even more than what I've done, I've been able to watch God working through my teammates here. They are all awesome and gifted in their own way and have done awesome jobs this week.
Sarah has selflessly been snapping pictures of everyone and been busy taking pictures for interviews and playing with kids and has been a wonderful sport at the base letting us do her beautiful hair!
Mara sat in one spot yesterday holding a beautiful little boy while he slept and gave him a some loving moments of security (all while getting her hair braided by a few other girls).
Deni and Becca have worked together doing medical this week and have created an atmosphere of love and support for the girls. They have prayed with them and made them feel comfortable and loved them like Jesus.
Kayleigh has endured endless hours of hair pulling and brushing and braiding with a smile on her face. She is patient and kind. The girls have loved playing with her and her hair

(oops- sorry we didn't note who wrote this blog- we've been trying.  Yes, it was Katie who wrote it!)


3 comments:

  1. Who wrote this?!?! Katie?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry- Yes, Katie (she is not known as Casey) wrote it....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie- we are so proud of you and can't wait to hear more about your trip!!
    Love,
    Aaron, Kylie, G, Luke and Laners!!

    ReplyDelete