Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Livin' Country - Haitian Style

    Today was craazy. Crystal informed us last night that starting today, it would feel like a completely new trip. We have spent the past few days in more of the city area of Haiti, but starting today, we have begun our trips into the country.
   It took us about an hour and forty-five minutes to arrive on the mountain in Fauche village. It was quite the adventure driving in our mini-bus, stopping at the gas station, and trying to venture through the dirt country roads. Our poor bumper has persevered through so much already this week. Peterson, our bus-driver, has been crazy good though. He's kept us alive so far, in this crazy Haitian traffic! Arriving on the mountain was so beautiful. Right away, the guys broke out into a "football" game. It didn't take us long to bond with the kids at all.
   We were doing VBS for those in the little orphanage there, and the kids from the community. Starting up the worship time, we taught them Jesus Loves Me with the help of Rony. They learned so quickly! It was a joy to sing with them (:  Doing the craft with them was a little crazy, but they loved their bracelets. Some of the boys would try to steal the girls bracelets, so the younger girls would give their bracelets to the older ones to protect.
   During craft time, Tim passed of a sleeping girl to me, who stuck with me the whole day. She didn't say a word, but just clung to me. I didn't want to give her up...

   I personally spent my whole time holding the little dear, and getting my hair "done," [aka - pulled in all different directions...they were pros at parting hair], and my zits popped. It was pretty comical, but I didn't mind. I am learning the most important words! "Beautiful," "sing," and "thank you." That's all I really need to get by.
   Also, some of the peeps from our group were doing some construction to help Pastor Martin [can you believe it? A Martin in Haiti!] I really wasn't able, because the little girl I was carrying around ended up falling asleep.
   I was able to talk some with one of our translators, Billy, about himself. He is such an intelligent person, already knowing four languages, and hoping to learn more. I asked him how many he wanted to learn, and he said, "A hundred." Billy is such a sweet person, and has such a joy and heart for kids, which has really influenced me. It was good to get to know him. All of our translators have been wonderful. They have worked so hard, and kept such a positive attitude.

   Today was such a blessing, as usual. I keep having these moments where I need to remind myself, "I'm in Haiti." I just get so taken back, every single time. I can hardly believe I'm here. We are all learning so much, and really growing close as a team and a family.
   Sorry if my brain is sort of scattered; it was an early and long day, and we've packed so much into it. God's using us! Keep praying. There is a lot of heavy spiritual battles going on, it is evident. We appreciate the prayers already for us! God is working in Haiti, and I feel honored to be a part of His plan.


Blessings!
-Clarissa

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! This household is enjoying your blog! Ethan comes to the computer every morning to see if someone wrote something. :-) continuing to think of u all often....and praying...
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are loving it too! Thank you for keeping us so informed!!

    ReplyDelete