Saturday, July 20, 2013

One Week In Haiti

When I first got the call from my mom about going to Haiti, I was so excited. I had been praying the night before about opportunities to really grow in my faith. That my mom called me the next morning was definitely an answered prayer. About 4 weeks before we were supposed to leave I was still unsure if I would be able to go, and I remember telling my mom that I would need a miracle to get work off. Long story short, I'm writing from Haiti now. Another answered prayer.
In the days leading up to our departure I was constantly thinking about all the cool stories that I would have when I got back to the US, what I saw, the people I would meet, new experiences, and how my life might be changed after being here. After being in Haiti for only one week, my thoughts on how life here would be were so wrong. I don't think that I can describe exactly how I thought Haiti would be in a few short sentences. Lets just say that I knew I would meet new people, but I wasn't expecting them to become such a large part of my life so quickly. I knew the culture would be different, but I wasn't expecting to feel right at home after the first day. I knew that the heat is Haiti in SO much warmer than anything I'm used to (True Michigander here), but I wasn't expecting to be walking around in a sweatshirt during the mornings and curled up in three blankets at night. All in all, I wasn't expecting to fall in love with Haiti the way that I have. Everything here is beautiful. As much as God used us to bless and serve the people here, they truly blessed me as well.

-Mara

No comments:

Post a Comment